It was great to see so many of you braving the rainy, cooler weather on Saturday for the annual Virginia Ten Miler race! I enjoy cheering for you from my office parking lot across from the hospital - I always see so many familiar faces. What a worthwhile event for our community!
Over the last two months, I've been busy with legislative and family activities. Our children started back to public school last month- Tyler in 7th grade and Haley Gray in 5th grade. They also participate in multiple activities that keep me and Whitney on the road- soccer, voice lessons, rock climbing, etc. I am also honored to serve on multiple legislative committees that meet throughout the year. You'll read more about that in this newsletter.
I also want to take this opportunity to honor and recognize Lynchburg Chief of Police Parks Snead. Chief Snead is retiring this week after more than 30 years of law enforcement service. I applaud his efforts and commitment to the people of the City of Lynchburg and the Commonwealth of Virginia. Whitney and I wish him much health and happiness in his retirement.
All The Best,
Delegate Scott Garrett M.D.
Back to School Supplies Drive a Success!
THANK YOU to all of the volunteers and Wal-Mart shoppers who participated in our 4th annual "Back to School Supplies Drive" that benefits public education in Amherst County, Bedford County, and the City of Lynchburg. We were stationed at 3 area Wal-Mart stores on Saturday, August 8 (during VA's Sales Tax Holiday) and collected over $10,000 in donated school supplies. The outpouring of generosity and support from this community is amazing! We do this event every August, so please let us know if you'd like to help next time.
Endorsement and "A" Rating by the NRA
I am honored to once again receive an "A" rating and endorsement from the National Rifle Association. This decision was based on my strong support for the Second Amendment and attention to firearm-related issues.
In addition to this latest voice of support from the NRA, I am also humbled by the earlier endorsements of:
- "A" rating from the Virginia Chamber of Commerce and their "Distinguished Advocate for VA Business" award
- Endorsed by the Virginia Farm Bureau Federation's AgPAC
Local Grand Openings in Health Care
The Lynchburg community has seen our health care opportunities expand recently! Here are a few ribbon cuttings I've attended, along with some information on each:
Lynchburg Centra Medical Center (ribbon cutting on 8/21):
The new center, located at 125 Nationwide Drive in Lynchburg, opened to patients on June 29, 2015. The new facility houses primary care, diabetic endocrinology services and Central physical therapy services. Lynchburg Internal Medicine moved from its office on Thomson Drive and became known as Centra Medical Group - Nationwide. They are accepting new patients. For primary care, call 434-200-3908. For rehabilitation, call 434-200-7860.
Lynchburg Department of Health (ribbon cutting on 8/21):
After more than 40 years at their old location on Thompson Drive, the Lynchburg Health Department has a new home! They held a ribbon cutting and open house for their new building at the Plaza Shopping Center, located in the old StarTek. The new location is on the city's bus line, and features upgrades like expanded waiting rooms and new exam rooms. For more information about services, call 434-477-5900.
Happenings in the 23rd House District
Over the last couple of months, I have been involved in many great events and meetings across this community! Here are a few:
- Meeting with teachers at Linkhorne Middle School to learns about how VIrginia's laws impact their profession
- Community service project at the Central VA United soccer fields to prepare for their Labor Day tournament
- Special Session of the General Assembly to consider nominations of judges
- VA Regional Business Summit in Bedford, sponsored by the VA Agribusiness Council, VA Retail Merchants, and others
- Back to School receptions at Amherst public schools
- Committee meetings for organizations I am a part of: House Appropriations Committee, Joint Committee on Mental Health in the 21st Century, VA Foundation for Healthy Youth
- Luncheon with local bankers through the VA Bankers Association
- Get Downtown! in downtown Lynchburg
Paid and Authorized by Friends of Scott Garrett